Davidson Family Travels

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Day 6

Connie and Kumi- Our newly adopted Davidson sisters

Maribeth in her robot costume.

I don't get what Mom's problem is with this picture

Our waitress is in the background. Where she remained all night.

Here we are discussing our new Disney contracts with Panda, our head chef.


Today we were in the middle of the Atlantic. We're the farthest away from land we have been at any point in the cruise- over 260 nautical miles. At the speed we are at now, it would take close to 30 hours to reach. We saw a freighter today, so at least we know we did not disappear going through the Bermuda Triangle.

Mother started today by jogging/walking. After all, the cruise cannot stop her training. Maribeth and I started it by sleeping in, with MB sleeping an hour or so later than I did. At 10:30, Mother had to go pick up her super special Transatlantic pins. We also had a continuation of the whodunit mystery that started the other day. I don’t think I’ve ever been more confused by anything in my entire life. They keep talking about clues, but everyone I talk to that is also doing it doesn’t have any. It seems like it is more lame skits than putting together clues. Tonight we were supposed to go up to a DJ and say “Hey man, my mouse is feeling goofy.” None of us could follow through.

Also this morning, Mom went and got the series of special pins. Luckily she didn’t have to camp out in the halls like they did that year on the Panama Canal Repo. Later on, we went on the galley tour. Panda, the chef for Lumiere’s, was our guide. We saw the pastry place, along with the galleys for Lumiere’s and Parrot Cay. It was okay. All the stainless steel and food safety talk reminded me of my Sonic days though. We got some chocolate chip cookies that were good as always. It maybe wasn’t the most exciting thing you could ever do on a Disney Cruise, but it’s something everyone should do at least once, just to see it. We were also lucky enough to finally get my picture taken with Connie, the other concierge host (in addition to Kumi).

Before dinner, we went and had our picture taken with Captain Mickey. Mother was upset because she stood in the middle. Since she is shrinking, Mickey and Minnie’s ears covered half of her body. Needless to say, the picture was ruined. We then went to eat at Palo’s. We split the Lucana pizza (Mom called it barbeque chicken pizza when she ordered it- apparently she belongs back in Mississippi). Mom had the shrimp salad and I had the grilled Portobello mushroom. Both were good. Our server (she was absolutely awful- left for ten minutes before even taking our orders) then brought us lasagna for no reason. Only mom tried it since MB hates fun and I don’t eat beef. I then had the tortelloni filled with crabmeat, and it was really good. Mom had lobster, which she describes as “not all that great”. MB had lamb. She seemed to enjoy it. Afterwards, we all ordered the chocolate soufflé. Our server said it was taking a while and decided to bring us two more desserts. She brought the Panna Cotta, which mom ate and described as though it tasted like milk. MB ate the chocolate ice cream, and I ate the raspberry portion, as well as whatever chocolate I got to before she did. MB and Mom finished up the dinner with booze. My mom calls it “some kind of after dinner thing”. It’s lemon flavored drink, sort of like an icee, with alcohol in it.

After dinner, we all put on sweatpants. I wandered around so Ida could do the turndown service. MB did something- I don’t really know what, and Mom went to the show. I will now allow her to tell of her opinions of the show, and the Oceaneer’s Lab last night. As I said earlier, she had that drink at Palo’s, so who knows what she will say.

Last night MB and I went to the adults only session in the Oceaneers Lab. One would think there would be some racy stuff going on, but other than the dude that brought in his own rum and coke, it was pretty tame. MB colored a picture of Dory, while I made a bead bracelet for Molly. We then joined the group in watching an experiment with balloons and liquid nitrogen, and then the group made flubber, which was supposed to be green, unless you got the wrong food coloring, which of course, we did, so ours turned out pink. After all that, we tried the computer games, which I couldn’t figure out, so we stood in the robot thing for pictures, and decided to call it a night.

Tonight I went to see the new show, “The Art of the Story.” I thought it was excellent. Basically, it highlights the different elements of telling a story the Disney way, using classic Disney stories and music. It ended on the song “He Lives In You” from the Lion King, so it was really great. An added greatness was seeing the American Sign Language people down in front doing their thing - it was very neat.

Molly’s forgotten items: Connie and Kumi brought by a signed lithograph from Ducky Williams depicting the Transatlantic Crossing; concierge brought by a cheese tray; and disboards left bracelets.

Molly
High: picture with Connie and Kumi
Low: Palo server
Maribeth
High: not as windy
Low: lack of sleep
Mom
High: Night Show
Low: Mickey Picture

8 Comments:

At May 17, 2007 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Marilyn said...

ok, sorry to say but I am just now reading this lively travelogue and am realizing what I have been missing - just by reading it! Here are my primary thoughts:
1. I think the chef that toured you in the galley is the husband to our waitress from Palo last December - they are from Argentina- check it out.
2. Do you realize the you all have mentioned some form of the word "eat" (i.e. eating, ate, etc.) at least 75 times, and,
3. You have all mentioned some form of the word sleep or nap at least 97 times.
4. Only one mention of exercise.
5. Love the EARS in the Mickey & Minnie pic!
6. Only one mention of booze- what kind of cruise are you on?!!
7. I hope that M & M followed through with their mother's day assignment that I gave them.
8. hope all continues well- I will try to read very day now so I won't get so far behind!!

 
At May 17, 2007 at 7:03 PM , Blogger icunurse_celeste said...

I really should be studying...I have an exam in the morning.

I wanted to write a quick thank you note to your Mom aka Luanne for her training for the 3 Day Breast Cancer walk. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in December and I really wanted to do this walk- to honor her. The Chicago event is being held while I will be on the first 11 night cruise in the Med- which I booked prior to diagnosis. Pleae tell your mother thank you from a fellow Diser, who appreciates what she is doing for others.

I have enjoyed reading your blog- I read a few paragraphs between chapters. ;-)

I wish I was there...

 
At May 18, 2007 at 12:32 AM , Blogger scottishwee35 said...

Hi

At palo, you mention about lemon well it is vokda with lemon sorbet. I had it last year and I had two and I like it.

And I was amazing that you mention about ASL sign laugague as I realised that there are deaf people there. We had it last year which was amazing and we will get the ASL an interpreters for us in July.

I was reading your story and these story and pictures are good.

Looking forward read it next day!

Scottishwee35

 
At May 18, 2007 at 6:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really loving your blog!

Kudos on Mom for doing the 3Day Walk! As a 21 year surivivor and vet of many walks, I THANK YOU!

You mentioned Panda - chef at Lumiere's -- he was on the cruise with us May 2005 - Mexican Riveria and your are correct, his wife is a server in Palo.

Looking forward to the next installment.

DebWills

 
At May 18, 2007 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Polly said...

Thanks for your info on the
Disney Magic Cruise to Barcelona,
Spain. We have a very large
group of 22 cruising on June 16, 2007 and can't wait to see the
Magic in Barcelona!
Love your information and pictures,
too.

My two daughters, ages 15 (10th grade) and 12 (6th grade) are so excited. We walked in the 5K
Race for the Cure on Mother's Day
here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
along with 41,000 folks and were
thinking about you all on the
TransAtlantic Cruise!

Thanks for the tips!

 
At May 18, 2007 at 9:43 AM , Blogger debg said...

I'm so enjoying your blog - thanks for taking the time to do it!

As a couple of people have mentioned (HI DEBBIE!!!), Panda and Florencia are married. She is from Argentina, he is from India. Both great people! We'll be requesting Florencia next time we dine at Palo.

debg

 
At May 18, 2007 at 12:29 PM , Blogger ThreeCircles said...

Tonight I went to see the new show, “The Art of the Story.” I thought it was excellent.

We were able to see this production on a previous cruise and couldn't agree more that it is indeed excellent.

The fact that it highlights the different elements that go into storytelling really gives one pause and appreciation for how great Disney stories are and how much time, effort, and skill goes into each one!

As always, waiting for the next installment at www.ThreeCircles.net!

Thanks for the reporting!!!

 
At May 18, 2007 at 1:42 PM , Blogger Sam Davidson said...

Thanks for all of your commentary!

Please tell Kumi and Connie hello from me. I remember them from my cruise in '04. Tell them hi from the guy who had the funny flip flops. They should remember.

And, make sure you try to find Scotty. He was one of the DJs on my other cruise last winter. I won Bingo the night he was calling and when I went up to get my prize, i kind of tripped and he laughed. I'm sure he'll remember that one!

Thanks again for keeping us updated! I'll be cruising the Med in less than a month and I will ask my servers about you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home